Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Whole Wheat Bread

 I'm quite unmotivated to be insightful, charming, or even legible so I'm posting a recipe. 

This bread is fantastic.  It's a staple at my house that I try to make every 2 weeks.  I use Hard White wheat which isn't as heavy as Red Wheat.  Some wheat bread gives me a lot of indigestion but this recipe is easy on my system. 

My sister-in-law taught me how to make this bread.  She takes a lot of classes from the Bosch Store so this is straight from one of those classes.  Bosch promotes Chef Brad and Xagave which is different from Agave.  It isn't processed like Agave is and it's fortified with a lot of vitamins.  It has fewer calories than sugar and is low on the Glycemic Index.


To begin, make sure you have around 8 cups of wheat flour.  I keep a container in my fridge for leftovers or if I grind on a different day.

In your mixer bowl (I use a Bosch), combine the following:
3 3/4 cups hot water (110 degrees with thermometer.  I just use a meat thermometer.  Seems to work fine.)
A little more than 1/4 cup Xagave (1/2 cup honey if not using Xagave)
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup Liquid Lecithin (use the same measuring cup as the oil; it will prevent the lecithin from sticking.)
4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 gluten flour (or "vital gluten")
1/2 cup powdered milk (get Country Cream brand if you can)
1 1/2 tbsp Real salt (sea salt)
1/2 cup rolled oats

Mix on low for 4 minutes, using the regular beaters (I actually use the dough hook, it seems to work fine), then add 2 tbsp yeast.  Change to the dough hook and gradually add enough whole wheat flour until you can see the bottom of the bowl when it is mixing (about 4 1/2 cups at my place.  You really have to play with this.  I've found that if I can see the bottom but not the sides it is perfect for my taste.)  Knead for 8 minutes on medium until the dough pulls away from the bowl, and is soft and elastic.  Put in 2 tbsp Dough Enhancer then knead for 2 more minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cover and let rest about 1/2 hour.  I usually gently pull out the dough hook.  If I have to break the dough I pinch it quickly instead of letting it stretch.

Spray your pans.  Cover your hands in Coconut Oil.  Remove sections of dough from the bowl, pinching dough, not tearing it.  Slap and fold to get the air out as you fold and form into a loaf.  Place into sprayed pans, pressing around the edges to get the air out.  Bag each loaf and pan and tie.  Let bread rise inside the bags for 1/2 hour.




Turn oven down to 350 degrees (it took me awhile to get the oven temp right.  My oven is older than I am and it cooks exceptionally hot.  So my first attempts were burn on inside and doughy in the middle).  Cook for 30 minutes.  Bread is done when it reaches 180 degrees (I prefer just at 200 degrees on my meat thermometer).  Cool in pans 15 minutes and remove to cooling rack.



I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.  Logan gobbles it up with some PB on it.  Nathan is a traditionalist; he likes it hot with butter and honey.  I love it with chicken salad, turkey avocado, and it is to die for as a BLT.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe Jenn. I love your bread, it is soo yummy and light. Just looking at the pictures makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really yummy--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I'm excited to try it. Yum:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. where do you buy the Xagave? and how many loaves does this make? would you put the Kamut in this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendi, I buy the Bosch store. They have sales every conference weekend. I buy a big container of it for $35. I use it for the bread (which I make quite often) and occasionally for breakfasts when I don't want to eat too much sugar. So a big container lasts me just under a year.

    My SIL uses almost full time and she has some really great recipes. I still like the taste of sugar vs. the Xagave so I don't use it for everything.

    I have not put Kamut in this recipe but I'm sure you could! I can find some other bread recipes that have kamut. I'll post them soon. That way all the chemistry is done for you, you won't have to experiment so much to get it right.

    ReplyDelete