Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

This is me

I thought I would do a quick get-to-know-me post. And i have some questions for all of you.
I grew up in Utah and went to BYU. Utah will always be home to me. Three years ago my husband got his PhD in Chemical Engineering and we moved to Oklahoma so he could do research for one of those big, bad oil companies. We do like it here. Fortunately for us the Church is really strong in our little town and i have found some excellent friends who have gotten me through some hard times. It has gotten hot here in the last week and the humidity seems to be stickin' around. Who lives in Utah and who lives out?

I am a stay at home Mom {I don't care what your English teacher taught you, I think Mom should always be capitalized} to four kids - 7, 5.5, 2.5, and 1. I had a hard pregnancy this last time around and a lot of the physical pain stayed with me. My baby just turned one {that's him in the picture} and I have hardly exercised since i had him. My MIL is a physical therapist and she told me some of the simplest exercises that she gives to her weakest, senior patients. She told me to start with 10. I was near tears after just 5. It's been a long road. Now i am able to exercise but i am afraid of injuring my hips again. That is one reason i need this motivation.
Having four kids was a big change for me. They take a lot of energy. Especially emotional energy. I've been in a sad funk lately and something needs to change. I am sure this blog will help me to feel proactive.
That's my story. I went to Jr. High and High School with Cammy and love her cheerfulness. I love to create, but i'm not very good at it. I love my family even if i don't always like being the homemaker. I play the cello. My favorite colors are pink and yellow. My favorite form of exercise is yoga and walking. What's your favorite? I chose the picture above because i like how i look - my hair is done, i am wearing cute clothes and there is a bow in my hair. Maybe that will be one of my daily goals next time - put a coordinating bow in my hair. I hope this isn't too long, i can't wait to get to know you all better.

6 comments:

  1. It was fun to read about you. I also grew up in Utah then we lived in Wyoming for three years before coming back here after law school. There is a chance we'll be moving back to Wyoming real soon so I know some of what it's like to be away from Utah and how it always feels like home.

    What kind of yoga do you do? I only started 3 months ago and we do a lot of meditating moves although we do some that are really hard. I love the peace I feel after a class and also how sore I am the next day even when I don't think that I did that much!

    My favorite forms of exercise are swimming, yoga, Spin, and Zumba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie,
    So sorry about your hard pregnancy and pain. I guess health is one of those things we tend to take for granted until we don't have it. I am glad you have found some exercises that are working for you though. I don't do a lot of yoga but I do enjoy doing it on the Wii every now and then. My favorite form of exercise at the moment is running and I started taking Irish Dance lessons in January which is challenging but fun. Probably not good ones for you to try at the moment since they are pretty hard on the hips ;)
    Leslie, I am so excited that you joined this blog. I am also excited about the opportunity it gives us to reconnect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am a Utahn. I guess I am pretty boring, since I have never lived anywhere else. No sense of adventure here. :-D

    I have done some yoga and it is ok. I really like a good stretch, but I also just like to go for walks or hikes. What I love about hiking is seeing the nature and being away from the cars and civilization.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a darling picture of you and your son! He definitely looks like a keeper!! I'm so sorry that your last pregnancy took such a toll on you--I hope you are past the slow part of your recovery and that things continue to improve for you.

    I enjoy Yoga too! I have had some fun teachers over the years that got me hooked on it. I still do the stretches at home whenever I can because it feels so good!

    Walking is also a favorite of mine. I was out this morning and didn't even turn on my iPod music because it was such a beautiful day and I wanted to hear the birds and smell the clean air. It really gave me a chance to relax and just enjoy the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so tiny! And your son is a chunk-hunk (so cute!), but the first thing I thought while reading your post is- wow, it's no wonder that was a hard pregnancy. Way to go- all of you ladies are amazing for being such great moms and improving your own lives at the same time. Some day I hope to be like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was blogger down everywhere yesterday? I tried several times to comment but could not. Now I can't even see new posts that I could see yesterday.

    ReplyDelete