Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Broccoli Salad with Kamut

I have a bunch of recipes with Kamut but I haven't tried them all.  I thought it would be fun for me to try them as I post them.  That way I can add more recipes to my grain repertoire as part of my goals. 

This broccoli salad is fantastic!  One tip.  Make sure you don't overcook the broccoli!!  You could keep them raw but just that slight cooked taste really absorbs the dressing and makes it oh, so yummy.  I'm sure all you calorie counters can substitute the bacon for turkey bacon.  Or just use less.  I don't use as much as is listed.  A little bacon goes a long way to my taste buds.  And if you use Xagave* your calories cut in half and you'll keep your BI low.
 
Broccoli Salad
 8-10 pieces bacon, crispy and crumbled
1 c. red grapes, halved
1 c. green grapes, halved
4 c. barely cooked broccoli flowerets (still want a crunch)
½ c. green onions, chopped
1 c. kamut, cooked (soak berries overnight then boil in the morning until berries are tender and chewy)
½ c. pecans

Mix broccoli, grapes, green onions and cooked kamut and chill.
Add bacon and nuts. Toss in dressing before serving.

Dressing:
1 c. mayonnaise (or ½ c. mayo, ½ c. lowfat, plain yogurt)
3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
½ c. sugar (or ¼ c. xagave*)
½ c. flax oil
Whisk together.

*Xagave is a natural sugar replacement with a low glycemic index.
It comes from the agave plant. Xagave is the brand name. It can
be purchased at the Bosch store.


My final thoughts on kamut:  Be creative and experimental!  Try kamut berries in other recipes.  Have a supply of cooked berries in the fridge ready to go.  They would go great in any salad.  The other day I thought they would go great in cottage cheese with cut up tomato and a little s/p.  Super quick and healthy lunch.  

I have the mindset of "just give me an excuse to use a grain!"  

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm would this still taste okay without the mayo/yogurt in the dressing so it was kind of more of a vinaigrette? I have this weird thing with salad dressings. It is a texture thing and totally crazy but I seem to be able to handle a light vinaigrette. Thanks for the recipe, now I just need to get some kamut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you can, Cam. Maybe try it out and dip the broccoli in before pouring it on.

    ReplyDelete