This morning I experienced an extreme salt craving. I tried so incredibly hard to resist it. I was reading my scriptures waiting for my hunger to manifest itself (I'm not always hungry first thing in the a.m.) when I was bulled over by this insane impulse to grab a handful of potato chips! As I was reading about Abraham and Sarah rejoicing over their upcoming pregnancy all I could think about were little dancing potato crisps doing a kick line in front of me.
Finally I gave in and had my handful. Then I went straight to the internet to research salt cravings. I definitely don't feel like I have adrenaline disease or anything but one thing did stick out. Stress. Ah. Guilty.
Websites suggest do not give in to craving (whoops!) and lower stress. Okay.
Interesting, though. I usually grab the sweet yet slightly bitter taste of chocolate to combat public enemy #1. Go figure.
So, I'll be trying to de-stress today. Write, exercise, tackle any items on my to-do list I've been procrastinating, etc.
I'm curious, when faced with the realization that stress has taken over what are your tactics? What do you do to de-stress?
I used to think I needed more relaxation when I was stressed but just the opposite is true for me. I need to work. I need to figure out what is making me stressy and get it done. If I need to say sorry to someone or resolve a conflict. If I'm putting off my lesson planning or housework. I just need it done so then I can relax.
What is stress like from your point of view?
Lol, has anyone ever told you that you are a good writer? I love your posts.
ReplyDeleteSometimes with both full time school and work I have felt like although I am well aware that I am over-stressed that there is nothing I can do about it. I certainly can't take time out to relax because deadlines are staring me in the face. However, something that has helped me manage without going ALL the way insane is to make sure that every day is started out with sincere prayer, careful planning the night before, and to make sure to just take several small moments throughout the day to just breathe deeply and allow your body to sort of recharge.
LOL I have to admit I was actually eating salty Pop Chips when I sat down and read your post. At least it was lunch and not breakfast right? As for the stress thing, sometimes just making a list of what I need to get done helps me relax a little.
ReplyDeleteK, thanks for the compliment! And for the insight. I have a completely opposite set up. I wish I were more busy and structured.
ReplyDeleteI guess that's why I find myself at the zoo most days.
Cam, what the devil are Pop Chips?
I have definitely used the "maybe my body needs it" excuse before and I think sometimes it is true. But most of the time I need to stop, take a drink of water and find a healthy alternative. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteI never think about my cravings. I just eat them. Lol
ReplyDelete