Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Back from Malfunction

Yesterday I was on the blog, and I wanted to share a little quote from a book I am reading, but alas the stars were not aligned. Poor Blogger.

The book I am reading is called Running With Angels by Pamela Hansen. She is a mother of 5 living children and 2 angel children. Her story details her life starting with the birth of her twin girls. One twin had a heart defect and didn't live long on this Earth. The main focus of her book is about overcoming her battle with obesity. As she struggled with her grief, and in dealing with subsequent children with varied health anomalies, she described using eating as her crutch to get through her trials. After the loss of her last son, she started just going out for walks. She wanted to start taking care of herself, and realized that she had been putting her family's needs before her own. Her triumph is that she lost over 100 pounds and ran the Deseret News Marathon on July 24th 2002.

Since then, she has instituted the Running with Angels 5k race. This year it is on May 21st at Thanksgiving Point. Proceeds go to the Angel Watch program that serves Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, Orem Community Hospital, and American Fork Hospital. Angel Watch is a program to help families dealing with pregnancy and birth of babies with life-threatening and life-limiting conditions. I wanted to run this race this year, but due to circumstances I won't be able to. So I am going to keep it in my thoughts for next year.

Anyway, this book is pretty inspiring, even if you have never lost a child, we all have trials and stress in our lives, which can lead us to self-destructing habits. The quote I wanted to share states: "In continually rededicating ourselves to our goal, we will recognize that a lifestyle is actually a life journey, not a destination." What this quote means is that we don't do these lifestyle changes temporarily. We don't stop once we reach a desired goal such as a certain number on the scale. These lifestyle changes are meant to be our journey for the remainder of life. Just some food for thought.

I don't know about you ladies, but I have met with a number of recent trials and struggles. I, like Pamela Hansen, have some angel babies waiting for me in Heaven. Since the birth of my son, I have had two miscarriages - one at 10 weeks, another at 14 weeks, and a stillborn baby at 28 weeks. I have no answers for the loss of my babies, only that my body failed in some way. As difficult as my losses were, I had a support system that I never even knew existed. They are the Utah Share organization and Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep. They provide services to bereaved parents and families that are invaluable, just as Angel Watch does. I just want to share one more link. On KUTV 2 News they do a segment called Pay it Forward. It is a fairly new segment, and one of the first clips featured a woman named Pat Wimpee. She takes photos of stillborns and babies that die shortly after birth. She took the pictures of my baby girl, and they are a priceless gift. Pay It Forward: Utah Share

Sorry this post got a little long, but I just felt like sharing. I haven't told many people about my baby girl, and most people didn't even know I was pregnant twice last year. I guess this is my way of trying to get healthy. I tend to bottle everything up and not tell people about my struggles, because I guess in a way I don't want to make others uncomfortable around me. I know how awkward those kinds of conversations are, and I try to avoid them like the plague. It is hard not knowing the path that Heavenly Father has planned for me. However, a good friend told me a few weeks ago, that what Heavenly Father wants for me, and for all of us, is just to be happy. So in order for me to be happy, I need to heal and try to live my life without fear and self-doubt. I need to know my worth and take care of myself.

Here is one of the pictures that Pat took. It's just our hands, so you can see how little she was. Only 10 ounces and 10 inches long.


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I love that book too. I read it in a night I was that overcome by her story.

    Thank you for sharing your story as well. I can't even imagine what it would be like to lose a child.

    I remember thinking as I read that book how Heavenly Father provided a way for her to heal through health. And how I too can heal through treating my body better. The soul is spirit and body together. I was so drawn to her story and I think of it often.

    Again, thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Amy, I am so sorry to hear about your hardships and losses. I was crying reading your post. What an awful year you must have had! I can only imagine the feelings, emotions, and pains your body, mind, and spirit must have gone through. I am so inspired that you would share this story with us and that you have this desire to become more healthy to help your body, mind, and spirit start to heal and be happy. Being happy is harder than it seems it should be- it really does take a consious effort sometimes!

    I am so excited to read the book you have shared. It sounds beautiful and inspiring and amazing to be in such a hard place then be able to lift your way out of it and become a better person, not just for yourself, but for others as well.

    I think that picture of your little girl is amazing, what a special gift to have and how sweet to think of your little angels in heaven waiting for their mommy.

    My heart is so full for you, Amy, and I hope in some way we can all help with your journey. You are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,
    I am in awe of your bravery and courage to share something so special and personal with us. I had no idea all that you have been through over the last while. I keep thinking about that tender picture of your hands. I can't even find the right words to express the emotions and feelings I had after reading your post. I just want to reach out and HUG your through my computer.

    I hope you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us help in any way that we can, even if it is just listening(reading) a vent session. Sending a huge hug your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your story. I am like you. I have a hard time talking about things that could be potentially uncomfortable. Its very brave of you. I hope that all is well for you. It is so comforting to know that God does know and want what is best for each one of us.

    ReplyDelete