One of my (probably overly optimistic goals) is to eat only one piece of dark chocolate each day as my sugar/treat for the day. I am usually surrounded by sweets and often find myself popping them into my mouth without even thinking as I walk by or whenever I go into the kitchen. I find that having a nice piece of dark chocolate is a good way to satisfy my sweet tooth without overdoing anything.
Since this is something I know with my head but not my mouth I've had to find little ways to remind myself that I shouldn't be putting more things into my mouth just yet. My biggest problem is right after I finish a meal I feel like I "need" a dessert. My trick... my toothbrush! Right after I finish lunch and dinner I try to brush my teeth (a good healthy habit anyway). It feels good and then I am not tempted in the slightest by anything sugary for at least an hour. My mouth feels so good and clean that sweets just sound gross. I know some like gum or mints for the same reason, but for me I like brushing my teeth- or using some of that purple Listorine... awesome stuff!
So next time you feel like having a sugary snack try brushing your teeth and see if you still want that snack afterall! (When I was teaching I tried to keep a toothbrush at my desk which improved my breath as well as stopped a lot of snacking- so bring one to work as well!)

I am going to have to try this tomorrow. I always get a sweet tooth after meals especially dinner, maybe this is the trick I have been looking for.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea. I hate chewing gum, so I don't have anything to curb the sugar craving.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a clever idea!! I hadn't thought of that, but I fall into the same trap, of feeling like I need just a little something sweet after eating a meal (which then turns into a little more of something...). Gum helps me too, but sometimes I get tired of chewing. And chewing. Thx for the idea!!
ReplyDelete