Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

When it's a Struggle

I haven't turned on my computer for two days. I have still been checking in and trying to post which unfortunately is not always successful on my phone. It has been good to be away from the computer and I have spent time with my hubby, family and friends but I do feel I have neglected this blog a little.

I also have to admit this week I am REALLY struggling. I am not quite sure why or even how to pull myself out of it either. I almost feel like I am rebelling. I know perfectly well what I am doing before I even do it and usually know the motivation behind it too but I just don't seem to really care until later when the whole guilt thing shows up. I do have moments where I am really good and feel like "okay, now I am back on track!" only to completely lose it a few hours later and let everything go to pot. Any suggestions for pulling myself out of this funk?

Sorry this post has turned into a vent session. I got on here hoping to motivate but I think I need a bit of that myself tonight.

How is everyone else doing? It has seemed a bit quiet on her as of late. If you are struggling like I am, let's not give up but recommit and keep moving forward. We can do hard things!

4 comments:

  1. Cammy, I can relate. I have been doing horribly on the one goal I knew would be the hardest for me - going to bed early! I just can't seem to get everything done that I want to do. So I figure I will make that a goal for the next challenge and give it another go. Also, I have used up all my freebie days so next week I have to really commit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely have a rebellious voice inside of me. It's such a saboteur!

    I'd say take 20 minutes to observe your self-talk. Be especially observant of the negative things that are being said. Write it down. Get it out. Replace it with a positive thought. So instead of thinking, "no one is going to tell me I can't eat that candy bar!" tell yourself, "no candy bar is going to keep me from my goals!" Your rebellious voice is now an ally.

    And I would say further, have a little bit of that candy bar and let yourself HAVE it. Let yourself ENJOY it. This process is not about restricting but CHOOSING the right foods over the not-so-helpful foods. If you tell yourself you can never again have your favorite candy bar,you are going to find yourself surrounded by 20 empty wrappers and a food hangover.

    And if I ever do find myself eating a lot of what I didn't need or ate beyond my hunger signal I try nurture and observe myself instead of attacking myself with guilt. "My body is feeling very full and slightly sick. I ate beyond my hunger limit. I was distracted by this or that. I'll do better next meal." No judgment, simply acknowledge and move on.

    Anyway, these are the types of things I try to tell myself. I got most of these tips from Intuitive Eating and another book I'm reading now about emotional eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn,
    Thank you sooo much for your comment. It was exactly what I needed to hear. I think I am going to scrounge up a notebook to carry around with me tomorrow and see if that helps. I love the idea of turning a negative to a positive. Maybe it's time I take a time out and start reading that book you loaned me;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, that's me these days, but I know exactly why I'm having a hard time too--it's because there's only 4 more days of school left, and 6 more days until we all leave for CA and I'm trying really hard to just push through and get the things done I need to so that when we leave I can just relax and leave it all behind. :) I think that's the key for me though, when it's hard to keep up on my goals--just remember the end that's in sight and tell myself that as soon as I accomplish ______, then I can relax and enjoy the reward for FINISHING! Good luck with motivating yourself, Cammy--I'm right there with you trying to find motivation myself!

    ReplyDelete