Let me explain. Today, I took my bike to my brother's house to have him look at it and tune it up a bit (after all I do need to start training for this triathlon eventually). He took about two hours and got it fixed so I can start riding it. It isn't perfect and really needs a new back rim but until I can get one he said I will be fine riding it. When I got home I really wanted to take it out for a ride but wasn't able to because I had two very tired kiddos that needed to take naps and no child care. When they did finally wake up from naps (at 5:00 p.m.!!!) I was able to hook up the bike trailer (that I bought a year ago) and take the kids out for a ride. I have used the bike trailer many many times since I purchased it but only as a jogger. Today was my first time EVER riding a bike with a trailer attached! It was so much fun and the kids loved it. I wasn't able to go very far and I haven't tried lugging the extra 60+ pounds up any serious hills, but I really enjoyed it and wasn't as scared as I thought I would be about tipping all of us over.
As I was riding today with the two little ones in the trailer and my oldest following along on her scooter I decided I want to equip my family so we can do family bike rides. I know it will be a little expensive at first because we need one more adult bike and my 8 year old needs a new bike now that she has outgrown last years, but I think it will be well worth it.
I just keep thinking back to when I was a kid and my family went on bike rides together. Those were special times that I will always remember and think back on with fondness. I want that for my kids too.
So, anyone have a few bikes laying around they want to give away or sell for cheap? Just thought I would ask;)
You have inspired me. I am going to dig the bike trailer out of my shed and go for a ride.
ReplyDelete