Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Garbanzo Bean Thai Curry

So a couple weeks ago i was craving garbanzo beans (odd i know). So i grabbed some dry beans, cooked 'em and added whatever i had laying around. This is what i ended up with. It was delicious and fulfilled my craving. My kids and husband loved it too and encouraged me to write down the recipe. I thought i would share it here. It is pretty healthy and vegetarian friendly. All measurements are approximate - sorry, it's how i roll. Here it is

1 cup dry garbanzo beans – soaked and cooked (equal to two cans)
1 chicken bullion cube
{1 tsp} minced garlic
{1 Tbl} peanut butter
{1/6 cup} shredded coconut
dash Ginger
dash Cumin
shake Chili powder
shake Black pepper

Once you cook the beans leave a little water in the pot and add all the spices. Stir it up and serve with salad or vegetables.

Hope you enjoy this easy, satisfying meal.

Or if the curry doesn't do it for you grad a handful of mud and chow down - this little dude tells me it is pretty tasty!!

6 comments:

  1. Love it. I can tell, he'll be a foodie when he grows up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, when I saw your little guys hands (before I read the description) I thought "how in the world did his hands get to looking like that eating garbonzo beans?" Glad you clarified. I think I'll pass on the dirt/mud but the beans sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, this is going to sound really stupid, but what are garbonzo beans? I've heard of them, but I don't think I've ever tried them. I never liked beans (except fresh green beans- yum!!)- can't stand the texture, but I'm willing to give them a try and see if they are any different. I also LOVE curry- one of my favorite things ever. Although I stick with Indian since Thai food seems to always have peanuts in it and I'm very allergic to this little buggers:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garbanzo beans are sometimes called chickpeas. My kids call them "pumpkin beans" cause they are the ones that look like little tan pumpkins. Maybe that helps. They do have that bean-y texture though. They are also really good as a crunchy snack if you roast them with olive oil and spices. (just google a recipe) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can also make yummy, yummy hummus with garbanzo beans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, if you had my Tuscan Soup at the family Christmas party it had garbanzo beans in it.

    Jenn, I didn't know hummus had garbanzo beans in it. I have never actually had hummus(to my knowledge anyway), what kinds of things do you spread it on or eat it with?

    ReplyDelete