Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Homemade Granola Bars

Everyone in my family loves these.  Even my 3 year old.  I got this recipe from the Sister's Cafe blog.  I'm still tweaking it to my taste but here is the original with some things I've done.

I'm always using Xagave instead of sugar with these so they tend to fall apart a bit more.  I keep them in the freezer in individual bags.  They are perfect for after a workout.  I grab one before I go to the gym and it's ready to eat by the time I'm done.  But they really are good frozen too!

Summer's Healthy Homemade Granola Bars
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 c. flax seed, milled
1/4 c. *quinoa (raw)
3/4 c. shelled sunflower seeds
1 c. chopped nuts (any kind or combination)
1 c. shredded coconut
1/2 to 1 tsp. cinnamon (desired amount)
1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 c. brown sugar or organic agave nectar (If you use nectar I'd cut this amount down.  I used half the amount.  It's twice as sweet as sugar so the first time I made it all I could taste was Xagave.)
1/2 c. honey
2 tsp molasses
4 T butter
2 tsp. vanilla
4 T. peanut butter
1 c. dried, chopped fruit (optional)

1. Mix first 8 ingredients together and place on a rimmed baking sheet.  Toast in a 400 degree oven for 9-12 minutes.  Watch it so it doesn't burn!  Stir and let cool at least 15 minutes.

2. Bring next 4 ingredients to a simmer, stirring continuously.  Stir in the vanilla and peanut butter and cool for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Put the toasted ingredients and dried fruit in a large bowl and pout the liquid ingredients over it .  Mix very well.

4. Place parchment or wax paper in the rimmed baking sheet and butter the top side, then place the granola bar mixture in the pan.  Put another butter sheet of paper, buttered side down, on top of the mixture and press down. (I used Pam instead of butter and it was just fine) Roll with a rolling pin to make it very tight, smooth, and even.

5. Let set for 2-3 hours and cut into desired bar size.  Makes about 20-24 bars.  Package in snack size bags or an airtight container.  If not using within next few days, store in freezer.  They keep very well, and thaw quickly.

*You can find quinoa ("keen-wa") in any health food store.  You use it raw in this recipe.  I'll post about the benefit of quinoa another day.

6 comments:

  1. Those look like fun. I'm learning about all sorts of new ingredients that I would've never just used on my own. Thanks!

    By the way, do you have any recipes for granola bars without nuts or peanut butter? Hard I know, but just wondering:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you could look online. Once I found a good recipe for granola bars on the side of some wheat bran. I remember it didn't have as many nuts but I do recall peanut butter. Yep, I through out the box (just checked).

    I've looked through many granola/granola bar recipes over the years. I'm always trying a new one. If I see one with those specifics I'll let you know.

    Can you eat almond butter or is it all nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really yummy. I will have to search for all the ingredients here in town somewhere.

    I just dug out my exercise equipment. It was covered in cobwebs. Yikes. I guess i should use it more frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you, Thank you, Thank you! I have wanted this recipe ever since I tried them at the zoo. I need something for before my training workouts. This will be a perfect fit. I am not into protein bars, well, I haven't found one I like and I don't want to pay for them. This will work out great for me! I will use my food storage, save money and they taste great! Thanks Jen! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn,
    Your timing on this couldn't have been more perfect. I actually made some "protein bars" yesterday (kind of combination of several recipes I found). They turned out better than I expected considering I was kind of making them up as I went along and my family liked them but I can't wait to give yours a try.

    Rachel, I was thinking over the peanut butter thing today for two reasons: one, sometimes I'm just not in the mood for peanut butter and two we think Savannah may have a peanut allergy (We are having her tested because she gets a rash around her mouth every time she eats anything with nuts)
    Hummus was a suggested substitute (Remember those garbanzo beans?) I also did find a reference for soy nut butter. I am not sure where to buy it but it is something to consider. I will let you know if I come up with anything else.

    Hummus,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had soy nuts before, but I still need to try soy nut butter- I've also seen sunflower butter?? which looks interesting.

    No, I can't have any nus- silly huh? It's just a little inconvenient and there is usually a way to work around it. It's probably a good thing because I used to eat peanut butter cups like crazy:)

    ReplyDelete