Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Great News

Well, I went to my doctors last week for my annual physical and I just got my labs back.  Last year my cholesterol shot up so he had put me on some medication but I had to stop taking them almost right away since we've been trying to get pregnant.  Anyway, long story short, my cholesterol has dropped 43 points since last year.  I'm only 5 points away from being in the normal range (yea!!).

I have to admit I was a bit surprised and was reflecting on what changes made such a drop.  I haven't dropped all that much weight since last year so I don't think that was a factor but I have included a lot more grains, I'm exercising religiously, and I've greatly decreased my stress.  I think back to last year around springtime and I was a mess of stress.  I was wound up so tightly it's no wonder my cholesterol shot up.  It was interesting for me to see the benefits of doing my emotional work.  I've been all smiles since yesterday.

But, I want to be well within normal range so I'm focusing in on a heart healthy diet.  My sister gave me this recipe a few weeks ago and I finally tried it.  It is oh, so yummy!

Jamaican Rice
Mix:
around 4 cups long grain white rice, cooled (I used brown rice and it was bliss!)
1 15 oz can black beans
3/4 cup chopped red pepper
3/4 cup chopped yellow pepper (I had green so I used that)
3/4 cup green onion


Mix:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. minced garlic
Add salt and pepper to taste


Wisk and combine with rice mixture


We had this with some chicken and snap peas.  It was a perfect summer meal!

Oh, and a little funny tidbit about the kale chips.  I thought they were a great substitute for potato chips.  I loved chomping on them with my sandwiches.  But if you try them out, be careful introducing them to people who aren't really on a nutrition kick. At my play date, my friends' faces were hilarious when they tried them.  I'm still getting made fun of. They definitely taste like baked vegetables but I can't deny myself the benefits of kale!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go getting your cholesterol down. That is fantastic! I really need to go get mine checked. I am sure it is too high. Kale chips at playgroup sounds like the kind of thing i would do. My friends laugh at me toting along vegetables in my snack bag.

    ReplyDelete