My sister got me real running shoes for my birthday last week. I can't believe what a huge difference they make! I've always used a random "tennis shoe" or "athletic shoe" from PayLess and thought that was just fine. Just with a good pair of real running shoes my stride, posture, and time have all improved. I also learned a little bit about myself. Apparently you either run normal or something else (forgot the other name sorry- where your feet turn in or out when you run) and need to get the right shoe for how you run. Most running stores will video you running and let you know what you are- I was at the outlets but was lucky enough to find my sister's friend there who just happens to be a personal trainer and avid runner to help me. She gave me a bunch of free running tips, tips on how to find a good shoe (I had no idea and was going on color and what felt good), and even made me run up and down the isles so she could assess my run.Here is what I learned in my 10 minute chat with a personal trainer in the Nike Shoe Store for what it is worth (and if you have any other running tips I'd LOVE to have them):
-I am a "normal" runner (which was good to know because the shoes I wanted were actually slanted to one side- good thing I didn't get those!)
-The soles in the shoe are actually supposed to come out like that! The reason is that they have a spot that you can stick a little chip in and it will record your miles to your Ipone for you. (About $20 or so, I didn't get one, but it's fun to know I could if I wanted to... or if I ever get an Iphone, but it really would be fun to know).
-You need to buy a running shoe that is at least a 1/2 size above what you would normally get or your toes will blacken.
-If you run hills you need to get a shoe that is a size bigger since your toes fan out a lot when you run up hills.
-I've been running heal to toe which they were all SHOCKED to hear (sorry I didn't know!) and was told that I should be hitting around the middle of my foot and rolling up to my toe. If you make your heal hit then it sends shocks up through your body and spine and can really hurt. Yeah, that's why it's been hurting to run:) It also helps propel you forward.
Not bad for free advice if I say so myself. What do you think? Do you agree/disagree with anything? What helps you the most when you run?
Thanks for the shoe tips. I have no idea what to go for in a shoe other than inexpensive and feels good on my feet.
ReplyDeleteYou are either "normal" or a pronator. I happened to be an unlucky one who pronates so it is much harder for me to find an appropriate pair of shoes.
ReplyDeleteAlso there is another reason running shoe soles are removable. It is because many runners use specialized insoles. The insoles that work best for me just happen to be the most expensive ugh! I was actually planning to do a whole running post and will address some of these things but thanks Rachel for bringing all this info up.