Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Food Pyramid is Gone


As I was searching the internet today I happened across this article that talked about how the USDA has decided to get rid of the food pyramid and replace it with the food plate. They are hoping it will be easier for people to identify with at a glance and make appropriate choices both at the grocery store and when eating out etc. I actually think it is a great idea and a lot more helpful than the previous food pyramid. Check out the article here and then let us know what do you guys think about the change?

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm going to print it out and hang it on the frigid-aire so I can impregnate it into my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out http://www.choosemyplate.gov/ it's the new government site like the old mypyrimid.gov that has recommendations and suggestions for all groups of people- kids, pregnant, weight loss, breastfeeding, normal, etc. It's really great and even has a bunch of interactive things that are fun. I don't know how much has been updated (I know some is still on my pyrimid but I also know a lot has already been updated with choose my plate). It even has a daily food plan that you can personalize. It also has a great way to find out information about the foods you eat and a great calorie counter. It's worth spending a little time getting used to. (There is also a great Preschool Food Plan that is still based on the MyPyrimid but is great).

    ReplyDelete