Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Healthy Obsession

I think I am officially obsessed with cycling and it is quickly becoming my favorite stress relief. In the afternoons when I, and the kids are in desperate need of a break all I need to do is ask, "Who wants to go for a bike ride?" and I am instantly met with cheers and excitement. Can I just say that I LOVE that they love it as much as I do!

This has, however, also presented some problems. How do I take my three children of varying age and ability for a bike ride? For the moment we ride the few blocks over to the church parking lot and ride there, but I would like to get to the point where we can go on some "real" family rides. "A" can ride on her own and I have a trailer that can hold the two younger kids but they start complaining if they are in if for too long. So I started researching and found this for a screaming deal in the classifieds:I was so excited to try it out. I first tried it with "A" because I she can ride a bike on her own and I figured she would have the easiest time. Nope, it was really hard and very unbalanced and I thought it was going to be a waste but "E" (who I was getting it for anyway) did awesome on it. I also got a child seat for "S" so she can be up close to the rider and not so far away in a trailer.It doesn't make our group rides when it is just me any easier, but I hope it will make rides with the whole family a little more enjoyable for everyone.

I also got a road bike for me this week (also from the classified ads). It is a pretty old bike (I think mid 80s) but in great condition and it's purple! This also gives us two adult bikes so we can all ride as a family.
Today I got to put my new bike to the test. Wendi and I rode the route (or at least tried to ride the route) for our triathlon next month. Their map wasn't very clear so our supposed 11 mile ride turned into 15, but it was so much fun and because the terrain was relatively flat it wasn't all that hard either. I can't wait to do another longer ride, maybe next week.

I keep thinking back to a few months ago, when I worried I wouldn't remember how to even ride a bike and now I can't get enough of it. It is amazing the things we are capable of when we get out there and try.

2 comments:

  1. That's so fun Cammy! I'm so excited for you and your family! I'm glad you're enjoying biking so much- it really is a rush isn't it? I've looked at those hook on bikes for my little guy and am glad that yours has worked so well. We'll have to try it soon! Good luck with your training! It sounds like you guys are going to do awesome on that Tri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love our tag along bike. It is so fun to be working together with my kids to get where we want to go. I am jealous of you girls who can exercise outside. It is pretty much too hot out at anytime of the day. I really want to get up early and walk as soon as things cool down here. I am hoping to get in some outdoor family workouts in when we are in Utah for my brothers wedding.

    ReplyDelete