Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Bonus Time!


I hope my lead in for this bonus makes sense and doesn't come across disjointed. If it does I apologize, but this is how my brain works so here goes.

A few days ago I was looking for inspiration and motivation. I went to my favorite site for this kind of thing (www.lds.org) and was not disappointed. I wish I could share all the great insight and inspiration that I found but unfortunately there isn't enough time or space in this little post.

I did want to share a few snippets of what I found.

If you have the time I would recommend reading this entire article Go For It! by Russell M. Ballard It is an article written from an address given in 1981 to young adults but I think a lot of what he says applies to all of us regardless of our age.

One thing that really stuck out to me while reading this was the importance and emphasis he puts on Self Discipline. In the article he refers to a quote by Benjamin N. Woodson as well as a suggestion from him:

"For my part, I have concluded that the quality which sets one man apart from another—the factor which lifts one man to every achievement to which he reasonably aspires while the other is caught in the slough of mediocrity for all the years of his life—is not talent, nor formal education, nor luck, nor intellectual brilliance, but is rather the successful man’s greater capacity for self-discipline.”

“All you need to do is this: Beginning this very day, stop doing some one thing you know you should not do.” After you have written this one thing down, stop doing it!"
“Start doing each day some one thing you know you should do!”

Guess what ladies? That is the bonus for this time around. For 5 bonus points all you have to do is chose something you want to stop doing and something you want to start doing and write them down. Write them in a prominent place where you will see them and feel accountable to them. Then do it! Pretty simple right?

I am slowly learning that my success rides on me, not anyone else. Somehow I have to learn how to dig deep and overcome the obstacles in my life, no one else can do it for me. Self discipline comes from inside. I have to get it for myself. How am I going to do that? Well just like this, a little at a time, setting small goals and constantly working and dare I say fighting to be better.

It actually reminds me of a phrase my college band director, Scott Hagen, used to say to us all the time, "Anything great takes Time, Patience, Perseverance, Dedication and Discipline."

I couldn't agree more.

3 comments:

  1. I love the quote! This is a great idea. I've been thinking all day about what I want to do and have decided that I need to think longer about it:) I'm excited to do this and think it will be awesome for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote mine on my bathroom mirror. Windowsrkers are my latest motivational tool. Hopefully it will remind me to change

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie,
    That is so funny you are doing the bathroom mirror thing. I just started writing on my bathroom mirror this week. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete