Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Bountiful Baskets


This Saturday I participated in a food coop for the first time and I have to say it was AWESOME!!! Okay getting up early on a Saturday to go pick up my fruits and veggies wasn't so great, but bringing it all home and stocking up my fridge was worth it.

For those who don't know what a food coop is (I didn't know until a few months ago) it is basically a group of people (not for profit, volunteer run) that pull their contributions together to buy food at a discounted rate. The one I found takes your "order" early in the week and then you pick it up at a designated location on Saturday. They try to buy their food locally to save on cost and support local farmers.

The fruits and veggies we have eaten so far have been so yummy and flavorful and I would have spent a lot more to buy them at the store. A few thing I will note, you don't get to pick what fruits and veggies you get and you have to occasionally volunteer your time to help out. Neither one of these is a problem for me but something to keep in mind.

Anyway, something to think about if you aren't doing it already.



1 comment:

  1. I have done Bountiful baskets for some time now. For our family the basket was WAY too much. I ended up spoiling a lot of food, which wasn't a good thing. So I split a basket with a friend and we only order every other week. It works perfect for me. Sometimes we get some less than fresh items or weird items, but all in all worth it.

    ReplyDelete