Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Has Your Mind Been Melted?

I keep trying to come up with something interesting for a post...but it is just not there. I have been stressing the past few weeks since my son is REALLY struggling at school. Not sure what the root of the problem is but we are getting to it.

Anyway, one of my goals is to start into running so I can run a 5k one of these days. I don't know when it will be but I figure better to start preparing now so I can't make up excuses when one actually comes up and I haven't trained long enough. I think I have started a little too gung-ho, because it is hard for me to run for long without completely wanting to die. So, that said I am still going to continue with my goal of running at least 10-15 minutes a day for this challenge, but on the next challenge I am going to start the Couch to 5K program. It basically starts you off alternating running and walking and increases the time, also the workouts are 3 times a week - not daily. The only real problem I have with this is timing it out. It is distracting for me to be looking at a timer every 90 seconds (plus I am pretty much using my cell phone for this. I don't have a sporty watch. Any ideas friends? I know a few of you are more experienced runners...so lets hear some!

Also I have been wearing some Vibram Five Fingers to run in. If you haven't heard of these, they are like running barefoot and they have the toes slots (think like toe socks). They are a little expensive...but mine are hand-me-downs. Now I am not totally sure they are the best ones for my feet, because they aren't exactly sized for me, and the style I have is not one that Vibram lists is best for running. However I like being able to try them out before I spare the expense and I kind of like them. Maybe I will save up the money and buy some for running.

**So I lied. I have the Vibram KSO, which is actually a good one for running, fitness, and water sports. Very nice. They are very enticing.**

2 comments:

  1. The Couch to 5K program is AWESOME! I used to get ready for my first 5K. As far as timing it out, I used a program on my cell phone so it was really easy. I wish I had better help for you in figuring that out.

    I have wanted Vibrams for quite some time now. The one thing about them is you have to ease into them because you run differently and it takes a while for the muscles to get used to them. Keep that in mind while you are training and don't get discouraged. Best of luck and let us know how things go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. I think I will try it out. I am like you, I want to run a 5K - someday.
    We were lucky enough to be given a pair of Vibrams but i have not tried running in them yet.

    ReplyDelete