I have always been a night owl. I like to stay up late - and midnight or one is not an unusual bedtime for me. However, this comes with a downside. I can't get up in the morning, can't get going in the morning, and would spend all morning in bed reading if I had the option. Anyway, I have often challenged myself to get to bed early (ie before 11pm) and I always have difficulty with this. In fact, I am doing miserably with this goal this go around. I did a little reading about sleep, so here is some basic information.
How much sleep you need varies depending on age and other factors. For adults it is between 7 and 8 hours a night. When you lose sleep the amount of sleep required rises. So for instance, you only get 5 hours one night, your body needs a payback. The next night you may need 11 hours of sleep. Over time if you continue to lose sleep your body will want to take back that time. That's when you get those times when your eyelids just don't want to stay open and your mind is not alert.
Sleep deprivation can cause memory loss, depression, intolerance to pain, and a weaker immune system. There are also studies linked to sleep loss and weight gain. Well, of course, we can't keep our bodies going and make good choices for our bodies if we are tired all the time.
Have you ever tried driving while sleepy? Studies show that sleep deprivation is actually worse than being intoxicated when it comes to hand eye coordination and performing tasks. YIKES!
I am sure there is much much more to be said about sleep, but this is where I end. Here is a wish that everyone gets a good nights sleep and continues to do so. Sweet dreams!
--AMY--
One of the worst things for me in regards to sleep deprivation is eating. I get a horrible case of the munchies when I am tired and the more tired I am the worse it gets. Maybe that is why it is associated with weight gain. Great info Amy, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it doesn't help to sleep when you have really bad anxiety. I have lost quite a bit of sleep this weekend due to that, but hoping to sleep well tonight.
ReplyDelete