Getting Started (Again) Challenge starts May 29th and goes until June 9th.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Belly Dancing

Well, I'm all about trying new things- especially when it comes to exercising.  I am so much more motivated to work out when I'm doing something I love- and learning something new.  For a long time I was scared to try new things, but lately it's been so much fun!  I've enjoyed all the new things I've tried and, though I'm not super good at any of them, I've amazed myself at what I'm actually able to do!  It seems so silly to me to label yourself with a few exercises that are the only ones you are good at... and therefore, the only ones you do.  Such as, "Oh, I'm just a runner."  "I just to aerobic videos at home."  For me I've got to have change-up.  Sure, I love swimming and I'm really good at it, but to have something different to do each day is so much more fun and makes me even look forward to exercising.  I try P90 videos at home- always doing a different one each time- swimming laps, water aerobics, kick boxing, community soccer, spin class, Zumba, biking, running, walking, weights, Yoga, and now... drum roll please... belly dancing!!

The first thing I think of when I hear "belly dancing" are Arabians women wearing hardly anything except a little bit of sheer fabric and lots of jingly bells and scarves shaking their hips like crazy. I also think of the neighbor girl, when I was growing up, who was the scandal of the ward because she stopped going to church and started belly dancing, lol.  Well, I was at my Zumba class on Monday with a super awesome friend and we decided to ask our teacher about belly dancing- since she has taught belly dancing for 8 years now and she seemed like a nice lady.  She said it was fun and we could definitely come try it out.  We went on Wednesday night and Thursday morning I woke up with hips and abs that were SO sore!  The class was really great- everyone was dressed modestly and just there for a good workout and to have fun.  We also all got to where jingly hip scarves which were so much fun- and super helpful when trying to shake your hips since you were so aware of getting those things to jingle- and I thought they were super cute.  The teacher was really good at helping us learn how to isolate all these different muscles in our bellies, hips, butt, and shoulders that I never knew I had.

 Man, if you want a super CORE workout belly dancing is the way to go!  I've done a lot of core workouts in my day and this one topped them all.  I talked to a lady with three kids (all C-section) who said she'd tried for years to find something that would help her get some ab strength back and with belly dancing she has now found it. She's done it for a year and you'd never know she had any kids by looking at that mid-section. I'd love to go back and try it again for the workout that I get.  I know it was just my first time, but it was fun and not uncomfortable at all.  Those of you who know me, know that I'll totally stop going to something like this if I ever felt uncomfortable or inappropriate at all.  I'm not sure when I'll make it back- it's hard to afford Zumba  AND belly dancing classes, but I'd like to go again and I'll for sure practice the moves I learned at home.

At the very least it was something new and I had a great time trying it out!  I'm always looking for something new to try so if you have any suggestions shoot them my way!  (I think next I might even try martial arts!!)

1 comment:

  1. A gal in my Irish Dance class was telling me about belly dancing. She said she LOVED it. Maybe I will have to give it a try especially if I get to wear those cute hip scarves;)

    ReplyDelete